Background information: The idea for this project came from previous use of the free editing software Picmonkey and the incredible photo editing platform it has become. If you are anything like me – you obsess about editing photos. I love the idea that you can take something you have created or found, and then alter it for the desired effect you wished had happened at that moment. What I also love about editing my photos is it really gives me an opportunity to “mess around”.
I completed this project with my students last week (March 2-6). The group is 15 8th Grade Photography students. It is our second major project in the course and we have been working with Blogger sites as our entry point into sharing and working with our photos online. We did an introduction session to the unit of editing by doing some glitched photography. For the intro I demonstrated what a glitched photo we debated how this is sort of a form of editing. I then asked students to find out from online sources – how to glitch a photo? The work was great and the feedback from students was that they enjoyed the process and final product of a glitched self portrait.
Many of my students were familiar with some editing applications already and I was impressed with the expertise they exhibited. My hope was that I could introduce free editing apps to my students and showcase the impressive range of capabilities these site offer. Likewise I wanted my students to use these apps later in the semester and think this was a great way to do some inquiry and sharing of new tools with the larger group.
Connection to my COETAIL learning: What has struck a major chord with me this first course of COETAIL is the need to mess around with technology. Planning for time to mess around and try things out has been very liberating for my teaching and hopefully exciting for my student’s learning. This semester I have set up each student with their own blog as a way to share their learning and make it visible. I follow them on feedly and monitor their progress and added posts piling up – a great workflow timesaver.
As part of student’s homework this weekend, they were asked to find out how to get their Google presentation of their App Evaluation on to their Blogger site. Along with making time to mess around – Course 1 has opened my eyes to sharing in online communities and the learning from peers. Making the connections we make public is very exciting for me as a learner and I am pleased to be able to offer this opportunity to my students as well.
In case the work can’t be seen here is the link to the UBD unit.